View Single Post
gonecrazy 08:08 AM 09-06-2019
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
Before I quit daycare,I had a child just like this. When I would tell him to get a toy, he would either ignore me or cry. When he would finally get a toy, he would not play with it. He would just hold it or fiddle with it repetitively. He was very, very babied at home, but he had other issues too that made me feel like he had autism or a mild developmental disorder. He would always hold his fingers in the "ok" sign with his thumb touching his pointer finger. He was so resistant to open his fingers. He also relied heavily on routines and had to come in the exact same way and do the exact same thing at the exact time every day or he would have a major tantrum. He was only 2! I also had a no couch rule as he would just sit there for hours staring if I let him even though I never had the TV on. He also wouldn't communicate basic wants and needs. If he wanted more food, he would just stare at me or start crying. No pointing or indicating an any way that he wanted something. I was so happy to get out of that situation because I did not want to be blamed for the troubles he was going to have once he started preschool.
He talks very well and communicates what he wants or needs. However he has trouble understanding directions. He still struggles at times with diaper changes. He will come and lay down on his stomach. Or he will lay with his head near me instead of his feet. There are times he will come and stand and I can see the struggle as he is trying to figure out how to do it. He doesn't look and focus on you when you talk to him. He repeats things on and on until you tell him to stop, etc.