View Single Post
MarinaVanessa 03:08 PM 12-01-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
The Mexican holiday of Las Posadas is celebrated for nine days, from December 16 to 24. The posadas are re-enactments of the journey made by Mary and Joseph to Bethlehem, that take place each night at a different home within the community. Guests gather at a new neigborhood home each night, dressed as shepards, angels, or even Mary and Joseph, and sing songs and ask for shelter. When the hosts open their home, there is a big party with traditional Mexican foods like ponche and bunuelos, and at the end of the night there is a pinata shaped like a Christmas star.
Yes this! don't know if it's the same for all of Mexico but I know that in my family you bake a bread called a rosca (row-skuh). It's made in a mold with a hole in the middle and you place a small baby in it. On the 16th my family and their neighbors get together and they cut the rosca. Everyone gets a piece and whoever gets the piece with the baby in it has to throw the party.

Traditionally instead of a party it was more of a feast and posada means inn so people would sing in the streets asking for shelter. People would take strangers into their homes and feed them and then offer them shelter for the night. People don't usually offer shelter anymore and it's more of a party but they still walk the streets and sing religious hymns in spanish. A lot like carolers but hoards and hoards of them, like a huge procession. Many carry candles. I got to experience watching this many times while growing up when I visited my family in Jalisco, Mexico. It was quite an experience.