View Single Post
thatdivalady 07:22 PM 03-13-2012
This is a touchy subject for me, but I'm going to throw my 2 cents in anyway. First off, I have 2 degrees in the social services field and a Social Work License. I have 10+ years of working in the field. That being said, I agree that if you operate illegally, you are definitely taking a chance. But can we please keep in mind that unlicensed does not always mean illegal? In PA, I am allowed to have 3 children without a license.

Governmental officials is a touchy subject to me because some folks know that I was starting a center based daycare and was told everything was fine until I asked for a certificate of occupancy for daycare and was told that there were eleventy billion things that needed to be done first. Funny, because I've been in lots of daycare centers and there were not many at all who appeared to comply with the International Building Codes. Apparently, you can get grandfathered in... So let me get this straight... it's okay for ABC Daycare to do business in a building that does not meet the requirements but it is not okay for me? No safety issues, just compliant bathrooms for INFANTS and TODDLERS who will not be using the bathrooms anyway... Water fountains, doors that swing to the outside, child sized toilets and sinks... approximately $100,000+ in work? If one center has to comply to the IBC then all should have to.

Now, what do parents do when they cannot find daycare that will operate according to the hours that they need? And people wonder why parents leave their children at home.

Listen, at the end of the day, I am happier knowing that parents sent their children to SOMEONE to watch them. And as long as they weren't abused, neglected, etc. does it harm anyone? Case in point, I sent my daughter to an unlicensed woman because I TRUSTED her.

Oh and last year in PA:

1. A licensed center based daycare had a baby who suffered third degree burns from Drano being spilled into their diaper...
2. A licensed center based daycare was just in the news for the male staff who was molesting the children...
3. A licensed center based daycare had a carbon monoxide leak (I thought you had to have detectors?) and injured 13 people...
4. The licensed in home provider that was down the street from my daughter's provider had fleas, an incredibly dirty and disorganized house, and was yelling and screaming at two of the children so loud that I swore if she was watching my child I would have to contain myself from not needing bail money!

So whoever posted above and said that a license does not mean that the provider is more trustworthy or safe than an unlicensed provider was absolutely correct.

*end rant*