View Single Post
AmyLeigh 08:24 AM 04-05-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I love your posts Willow. I read everything you write.

You know what strikes me in this conversation.... as we are talking about this there's another thread about attachment parenting going on. I can't get over how oppositional these are.

I wonder how many parents who shun their child by intentionally setting out to have the absolute least amount of time AWAKE with their kids would call themselves attachment parents if they were interviewed when their kids were babies???

I wonder how many people get burnt out on their kid when they are pre-mobile and the pendulum swings to near complete shunning once they can move and assert their will.

This isn't a smack to attachment parenting. It's nothing new... it's just the current version of "my child". I've seen a load of different versions of this over my career. I'm not against attachment parenting at all. I wouldn't practice it nor would I care for dck's with it but to each their own. I just wonder how many kids out there are going day after day... week after week.. month after month... with next to no real awake face time who have parents who believe they are attachment parents.
You make a good point, Nan.
My opinion about this has to do more with extremism, which has been talked about in other posts. It seems as if some people believe that one can only parent in extreme styles. Tiger mom, helicopter parent, attachment, independent hands off, etc ad nauseum. What happened to being balanced? It's extremism that causes the next trend to be extreme in the opposite direction. The pendulum just keeps swinging.