View Single Post
Blackcat31 07:46 AM 07-22-2014
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
For me, when someone ignores a policy I take it personally. I find that it is a complete disrespect to me and my business and even on a first offense it makes me want to show them the door. It takes me a VERY long time to get over it. And it can be something as simple as a parent asking for clarity...

I had a parent try to tell me they wouldn't be paying while on vacation by simply stating how much $ they would give me prior to leaving. I realized what was happening because they pay two weeks at a time and the amount was for one. I let them know that tuition is due every week regardless of attendance or vacation. She later admitted DCD said they would probably have to pay but she wasn't sure. So instead of straight out asking me she tried to tell me what she was going to do
Fast forward a couple of weeks and now its time for my vacation. The sign on my door states I'm closed next week and payment for next week is due by Fri. So she read it and said, oh your closed next week? Do we have to pay for that? So now I just don't even want this kid here anymore. I'm really mad irritated, feel like they want to take advantage of me, et. etc. etc.

How does everyone just brush these things off? Personally I just can't do it. I don't allow people to bend policies but it's not enough for me. Having to constantly remind them as if they too are two years old just rubs me the wrong way.
I brush it off by remembering that THEIR actions belong to them.

They can try and make me feel guilty or badly but I refuse to borrow someone else's issues. I will NOT stress about things that I personally cannot change.

If I CAN change something that stresses me, I change it.

As for the parent reminders...I don't understand why so many providers are having to remind parents of anything...I just supply my rules and when they don't follow them (like the payment thing for vacation time) I apply the consequence (in that case, it would be a hefty late fee and possible loss of services) and if the parent questions me, I just say "Didn't you read your contract?"

If the parent said to me "Do we pay for that?" like you said above, my response would have been "What do YOU think?" and left the parent feeling stupid because you know as well as I do that she DID know...she is just playing dumb in hopes of you not having the balls to say yes.

It is and can be hard to manage parents sometimes but once you learn to put things back on them (by being snarky with a big smile) it becomes REALLY REALLY easy to do and MUCH less stressful for you.

I promise.