View Single Post
Small Batch 10:21 AM 09-07-2016
Originally Posted by nannyde:
What I meant to say... and you are absolutely right... is that cameras don't deter BAD behavior.
Good or bad, as it relates to this issue, is basically dependent on one's point of view. What matters is the observee's awareness of the observer's expectations. The person being watched may not believe their actions to be bad, but that doesn't mean they don't recognize that those actions are not wanted by the person observing them.

All of the links above are about center cameras where the employees knew they were on camera. In order to commit these acts of aggression or negligence they HAD to have had many many times when they got away with it while being on camera before it was actually caught.
Right. As I stated earlier, it's not about the camera, it's about the knowledge that they are being observed by someone else.

...the problem is the amount of staff time it takes to go through camera footage to disprove or prove an incident. It is EXTREMELY expensive in staff time.
This problem should roughly scale itself. A smaller daycare is going to have fewer children, lowering the probability of a complaint. They'll also have fewer cameras, lowering the amount of footage that must be reviewed.

We did some analysis of viewing and found that most parents watched quite a bit the first two weeks and then dropped to rarely ever watching it.
My guess would be that they wanted a little bit more assurance that they had selected a good daycare, or reassurance that putting their kid in daycare was the right thing to do.