View Single Post
Unregistered 12:44 PM 09-19-2013
Originally Posted by JoseyJo:
How long as this DCB been with you?

I have noticed that big/strong for their age boys seem to be MUCH more physical about things (and tend to have lower than normal vocabularies) when they start w/ us- but that within 2 months or so they get the picture.

We have 1 right now that started w/ us 6 weeks ago. He is 23 mo but the size and strength of a 3.5 yo. He talks very little- when he wants something he tries to get it instead of asking for it, a toy, food, drink, etc. He watches a lot and copies the other children so gradually he has figured out our routines and how we do things and is falling right in place
This is exactly him. Big, strong kid, low vocab (he's just now picking up 2-3 words and 2 sign language words) He is 17 months today. He has been with me roughly since he was 6 months (minus 2 months because I had to close for a short period). Even at 6 months, he was a very fussy baby. It was like he had to be entertained, instead of having a natural curiosity for his environment. He suffered acid reflux and has had numerous illnesses so it always seems like something is wrong. His mom is VERY perky and I know he has a large family that spoils him (only child, only grandchild...) I don't think mom sees a lot of these behaviors at home, honestly because he already has her full-on attention already. I have heard numerous other (family/friends of hers) comment on what a handful he is so I know I'm not delusional or exaggerating. I do give them advice and have tried to guide her toward making him less dependent (they do want to have another kiddo).

Her previous provider and myself have tried here and there to get them to baby him less. I think I need to have a talk about discipline. When I expressed my frustration at his standing on my furniture and walking across the end table, she was embarrassed and said, "Oh my gosh, we have dance parties on the coffee table. We'll stop doing that." So, yeah, I just don't think they consider that what he's allowed to do at home, will be tried elsewhere!!

So I guess I had myself fooled into think he would get better as he aged? I kept telling myself, "when he can do X, he'll be happier." But I'm wondering if it's ever going to end? If he's ever going to mellow out?