View Single Post
Meyou 12:55 PM 10-04-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Separate him.

Give him a place to play where is in not in contact with the other children.

Invite him to join in but the minute he starts to behave aggressively, he needs to be removed from the group and isolated until he learns acceptable social behaviors.

Repeat until he understands that he must behave in order to be part of the group.

Ariana.....I disagree that you have no means of teaching this child without the support of the parents. Obviously parental support is ideal but it isn't necessary when teaching a child how to behave while in your home/care. I have many children who have parents allow a vast array of unacceptable behaviors at home but the children all know how to follow the rules here. They are smarter than we think.
I totally agree. I had to do this with a DCG about 6 months ago. She was specifically violent to her sister but I treated it just the same. I set up a seperate area with a few toys and some books. If she was violent she was sent there for the rest of the morning/afternoon and we tried again the next day. It didn't take very long at all for her to stop.