View Single Post
Blackcat31 12:48 PM 12-29-2010
I don't allow my SA's bad behavior either...we have LOTS of consequences but because they tend to push the boundaries a little more and a little more often than younger kids, I spend a great deal of time having to reinforce those consequences. Which is soooo unfair to the younger kids because the older SA kids know how to follow the rules...but it is in their nature to test....so alot of time goes into correcting their behaviors. I'd rather not spend my day having to remind kids (who do know better) to behave. I also don't appreciate the words/tones that come out of their mouths....they tend to initiate controversy and fights among the herds...they are manipulative and sneaky. I would rather spend my time playing with a child who appreciates me being with them than with a child who is just trying to slip one past me. IMHO I feel that in home childcares dealing with mixed age groups are not an ideal setting for school age kids. They play games that involve kissing each other or are centered on physical hands-on type things, and games like "I liked you yesterday but not today" or "I'm not your friend anymore"....or "you can't be in our club but everyone else can!" Younger kids know no discrimination or bullying behaviors. Atleast in general. As a PP mentioned, SA are soooo rough on stuff! I have toys that ONLY younger kids can play with and have had them last for years. I replace the stuff for SA kids almost yearly. Also, as Nan brought up...I don't really like having to check someone's homework or spelling words or double check that they read for 20 minutes....My own DS and DD are in college so; Been there ;done that.

Plus when I was a kid we played outside....we NEVER wanted to be in the house. Now the SA'ers I have ONLY seem to want to watch TV or play Gameboys...they complain non-stop about having to play outside...like it is a punishment or somehting?!?!?

I give a wholehearted applause to provider's who like or choose to have SA's because I am in this for the younger than 5 crowd so anyone who chooses to pick up the rest....be my guest....it is NOT my cup of tea!!! If it was, I would ONLY take SA and never mix them with the younger ones....I have a few SA'ers now but only because they are in Kindergarten (After K they are not accepted here) I have one exception to the rule....a 8 yr old who has two sibs here and they are full time. Mom pays me like 3x's the going rate because her son is a handful (and she knows it) and I am SUPER firm with him...Once the youngest sib (she's 3.5 now) gets to school though....I'm done with whole family.