View Single Post
Former Teacher 06:38 PM 03-05-2021
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am so appalled by many of the comments posted on this thread. Much of it sounds self-aggrandizing and judgmental, rather than focusing on helping children. I applaud those that pointed out that shaming and bullying is not a positive part of early childhood education. If you have a problem, why not try a bit of research? I happened across this thread when searching for information on hypersensitivity to touch in autistic children (on the spectrum), many of whom are highly functioning, very smart toddlers. My 3 yr old grandson is like this, and at times he says "that hurt me" when he is touched, taken by the arm, when a new piece of clothing is put on him, or a variety of other situations. Sometimes, the amount of (over) stimulus coming in from other sources, such as noise, or emotion triggers this. After encountering this, the next thing I would do after researching the issue is observe and evaluate, speak with your supervisor, and then perhaps talk with the parents, if appropriate. At this age, there surely are many undiagnosed children who are on the spectrum. There are ways to deal with this "touching" problem without shaming. With mine, squatting down on his level and asking him to come often works. But the bottom line is that an over-stimulated, touch-sensitive child will often not be able to comply.
I agree. Not calling people out because they are highly respected here but when I was reading this thread (from 2013 by the way) my mouth was

But we can't always blame the provider. We have to put some blame on the parents who continue to keep these providers in business.