View Single Post
MarinaVanessa 09:35 AM 12-13-2011
Okay, I'm relatively relaxed when it comes to most daycare situations however this is one of those things that really bugs me. I think that it's becase I see how hard it is for the child. In my experience the longer the parent stays here, the longer it takes me to console the child. Because of this I have dedicated an entire section to this very situation in my handbook. Here is what I have, maybe it'll give you ideas of how to approach the parent should you decide to bring it up.

Originally Posted by :
When a parent departs, the child may cry and protest. This is what psychologists call separation distress. It is part of the normal developmental process of establishing independence and autonomy. The intensity of a child’s distress seems to depend mainly on the child’s personality and temperament. It also depends on the way parents handle the anxiety and the way in which they leave.

Through experience the child care provider has found that it is in the child's best interest if, when arriving, the child is given a quick farewell hug and kiss, reminded that the parent will return and then followed by a quick exit. While there may be some tears, prolonging the departure only creates more stress on the child. While sometimes a stressful departure cannot be avoided, parents can however make it shorter. Children are resilient and adapt very quickly after a parent has gone and usually within minutes have begun to play.