View Single Post
Familycare71 05:00 AM 08-21-2013
Originally Posted by Leanna:
I voted direct supervision because this is both what my state requires and what I believe is best.

The only exceptions NYS allows:
My state allows children who are fully capable of going potty, wiping, and washing hands to go to the potty alone (I also allow this when I know a child can handle it and can be 100% trusted).

My state allows children to nap in a separate room with the doors open and a monitor on (I do NOT allow this. All children nap in a room with me supervising. The only time I leave the room when they are napping is to use the restroom myself. I make sure everyone is sleeping and I take a monitor with me and HURRY).

My state allows school-age children to be in a different room or outside without the provider as long as they are physically checked on every 15 minutes. (I do NOT allow children of any age to play outdoors without me but I do allow some of my trusted school-agers to be in the playroom during nap.

My house is very small and I can see the children in the living room from the kitchen.When we are in the playroom or outside I am DIRECTLY supervising them. I have been doing family child care for six years and I have never had any destruction of property or accidents/injuries occur out of my supervision. Property damage is one thing, but if one of these children got hurt and I didn't see it, know exactly what happened, and be able to respond right away I wouldn't even wait for the state, I'd close up shop myself!

I noticed a few NYS providers posted that they (the provider) can use the bathroom by themselves. I have been told that this is a no-no and that we must take the kids with us. This is why I wait until nap!
I actually had a registrar look into it for me- it is 100% allowed. In addition to our regs there is a book of "sub regs" that go into more detail- that is where she found it. I think I still have it- pm me your email address if you want me to forward it to you