View Single Post
Blackcat31 10:13 AM 05-28-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
There have been studies that have been conducted that show that napping during the day affects sleeping during the night inversely. This is a result of this study conducted by the National Institute of Health.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21075238

This study actually shows that sleeping during the day affects cognitive skills adversely. The reason is that naps during the day (especially when they are not needed anymore) cause restless and less quality sleep at night, and this affects cognitive skills poorly. I don't think we need a study to figure this out as it is common sense.

I agree that all children need naps but to a point. Both of my children stopped taking naps at 3. They naturally weened themselves from napping. Now my 6 and 4.5 year old are at pre-school and the 4.5 year old is forced to rest/nap. He won't sleep at night and won't get up in the morning. We have very good routines. The 4 days he is not in daycare he sleeps on time and gets up by himself feeling energetic and happy. I can't say the same thing for the 3 days he is in daycare!

The nap laws were probably established because children were getting hurt in daycares. Let us rememeber that the laws in place to protect the children! Everyone needs a break, yes I get it! But if you don't get a break, the children get hurt. Remember the real reason why there are laws in place to begin with.

I also have learned that no one will raise your own child like you. Never forget that and never stop being an advocate for your own children because no one else will. And if your demands are not being honored I would suggest look arround until you find a high quality daycare that will honor them. It may cost more but it is worth it in the end!
The link says:

Naps (brief sleeps) are a global and highly prevalent phenomenon, thus warranting consideration for their effects on cognitive functioning. Naps can reduce sleepiness and improve cognitive performance. The benefits of brief (5-15 min) naps are almost immediate after the nap and last a limited period (1-3h). Longer naps (> 30 min) can produce impairment from sleep inertia for a short period after waking but then produce improved cognitive performance for a longer period (up to many hours). Other factors that affect the benefits from the nap are the circadian timing of the nap with early afternoon being the most favourable time.
Longer periods of prior wakefulness favour longer naps over brief naps. Those who regularly nap seem to show greater benefits than those who rarely nap.

So I am wondering where you read the things you posted as the link I clicked into seems to support napping as a benefit.