View Single Post
nanglgrl 02:26 PM 06-27-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
For ladies who have done ten years or more of IN HOME child care, may I ask your opinion

Of the last ten years of experience can you tell me the percentage of kids in your child care who are well behaved, respectful, calm, kind, good eaters, and sleep well?
i would say about 60% are great right away, another 10% took a couple of weeks with me to change their ways.
Out of that percentage can you tell me what percent of their parents do you believe were doing a good job as parents? Meaning they disciplined fairly, had expectations of good behavior, fed healthy food, kept kids clean in well fitted clothing, expected reasonable sleep... rest schedules, expected manners.. and spent a good amount of awake time with their kids.
Crazily enough I haven't seen a correlation for the most part. Out of the 60% that started off here as great kids I'd say only about 30% had parents that were doing their job. These kids were well mannered quiet, ate healthy food here even though they didn't at home, did as told but also had no imagination, no idea how to play, were often left at daycare as much as possible and it was often apparent that the child spent a good deal of time at home in front of the television.

Now the same question of the last five-years.
My answer is probably going to be different than others. In the last 5 years the children I've accepted have actually been better behaved and had good parents but only because I raised my rates, set up a good program and stopped accepting families just to fill a spot. Now I make sure the family is a good fit. I'd rather be broke than have people come into my home daily that I don't like.

Now the same questions of the last year.
see above

Last question. In your entire experience of ten years plus... what percentage of kids have you had where the parents were what you would consider top quality parents but had kids with poor behavior over the years you had the kids?
Of the kids I've had with top quality parents I'd have to say all of the children were also as awesome. I think their involvement and good parenting has made for good children. The majority of those children were also bright and inventive, and what I would consider smart for their age. As for the children with bad parents that still behaved well I'd say only a small percentage of them (maybe 1%) are what I would consider smart and the majority of them I would consider to be behind on their skills. I don't mean ABC smart and I don't know how to explain what I do mean. Lol. They don't know how to play and often have an empty look. They often just do what the other kids tell them to. They are behind on personal skills such as putting shoes on etc. they can't follow simple directions not because of naughtiness but because they really just can't understand.