View Single Post
Leigh 04:21 PM 01-31-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Our state publically lists ALL facilities that are licensed through DHS.

This includes, group homes, adult care homes, child care home/centers, foster care homes etc....

I see why it would be a bit unnerving if you have foster children with violent or "scary" parents/families but how would any of them know which foster home the child is placed in?

We have situations too where the family that lost temp or permanent custody might be "scary" but in those cases any and all visitation between the child and the family is done at the "Family Safety Center" which is designed for child custody exchanges and visits when neither party wishes for the other party to know where they live.

So I am thinking that there really shouldn't be a way for a "scary" family to know their child was placed with you....kwim?
My state gives them my name AND I have to meet with the parents in person (at the CPS offices). WHY? I wish I knew. I haven't had a placement whose family I was worried about before-my last foster child's mom was very nice, she was just young and dumb and mentally ill.

Thank God that my families support me doing foster care, and haven't dropped out yet (and indicated that they wouldn't) when I gave them the short version of what's going on. They all sign a form in my handbook acknowledging that foster kids come and go from here, and while I don't take kids labeled violent, with past sexual abuse (offender or victim), or other potentially risky kids, that there may be a small risk (and with good supervision, that's a very small risk).