View Single Post
Blackcat31 08:50 AM 06-03-2012
Originally Posted by Willow:
It wouldn't matter if it was legal or not, charging a sicker child's parents a higher rate wouldn't sit right with me.

It's not their fault she's sick, and the price their child pays in life enduring her illness is infinitely high enough.
This has nothing to do with this thread really, but please don't say it like that.

My DH is a Type 1 insulin diabetic. He is NOT sick or ill. He does not have an illness that is going to go away some day like having strep throat or an ear infection.

I know that is really not what you meant and I respect the fact that you feel like a higher rate is unfair and such and I also admire the fact that you feel charging more is not morally or ethically right but saying diabetes is an illness or sickness just sits wrong with me.

My DH (and our whole family) have had to deal with biases and mis-information associated with having diabetes so I am aways quick to jump in to correct the wrong wording or wrong ideas about it...so forgive my haste, but I just get upset when people say illness or sickness...kwim?

I know it is just words...but he isn't sick and he isn't ill. He has a disease and one that he can and does live with to the best of his abilities but it isn't going to go away or get better.