View Single Post
Unregistered 03:17 PM 07-27-2013
Originally Posted by Leanna:
To the OP, I implore you to please disregard the above advice! This is NOT a "method" or "technique" that is developmentally appropriate or based on any understanding of child development.

There is a difference between methods that are used for guidance and discipline that are based on an understanding of young children and their development and tactics that are used solely for the providers convenience, preference, or as a means for looking out for themselves first.

There are ways to provide appropriate limitations, boundaries, and consequences for behavior and still preserve your own well-being, etc. If you are concerned that the child will make unfair claims about being hurt, for example, you could immediately inform the parent each and every time the child says this, document thoroughly and accurately what happened before, during, and after each of these claims is made, be vigilant about keeping your daily health check up to date, DO teach the child the difference between truth and lies, & conference with the parents. If you are still concerned, you could even go as far as videotaping yourself or inviting your sub to come and observe as a witness.

Many times, doing what is best for the child is not easy. It is time consuming and it can be tempting to do what is easiest for the adult. In no way am I saying you have to sacrifice your own sanity and well-being, I am saying there are ways to take care of both the child and yourself that do not involve engaging in practices that are questionable at best and even potentially harmful.
I agree 100%.