View Single Post
momofsix 09:14 AM 08-06-2010
Originally Posted by professionalmom:
Wow - the hostility! I knew this topic would elicit a lot of emotions. Here's a thought for EVERYONE. Did the OP say that she was against Gay Pride activities? No. Maybe, just maybe, she is of the opinion that this topic is inappropriate for this age group and should be addressed at a later age. It may not even be about personal beliefs. It may be an issue of timing and age-appropriateness.

I have a cousin whose son was in kindergarten or 1st grade this past year and part of their curriculum included the Holocaust. I have nothing against teaching children about this horrific era in history, however, I did think it was wholly inappropriate for this age group.

Please, let's not jump to the worst possible thought about the OP or call her/him names. Isn't this what is wrong in society? We jump to conclusions without knowing the full story or the full intentions of others. It is equally deplorable to lash out and bite the head off of someone who doesn't support gay pride celebrations as it would be to lash out and bite someone head off for being gay. Like I said before, just because someone doesn't support, celebrate, or shout Gay Pride chants, does not mean that the person is a horrible person or even a homophobe. Is the OP bashing gays or lesbians? No. She just does not want this topic taught to her child, at this age, and by someone other than her. That is her right! Have we forgotten that? Parents do have a right to teach their child about things when the PARENT decides it is appropriate.

Sheesh, give this OP break. She was not being mean in any way, yet some people are jumping down her throat and completely disrespecting her rights as a parent.
Well said