View Single Post
jen 10:40 AM 08-06-2010
Originally Posted by Janet:
So I apologize if anyone is offended by my outrage. One of my daycare kids (who is no longer with me) said that gay people will all burn in Hell. He said this during our circle time and made 2 of the other kids cry when he said it. This prompted me to discuss it further so that I could reassure the other kids that were upset that what this little boy said is not true. I asked him if he knew what "gay" meant and he said he did and he said that God punishes the wicked and he sends them to Hell and they burn forever. He was 5 at the time. This is also the same kid that said that people who celebrate Halloween are going to Hell because it's devil worship. The comment that this child made about gay people prompted me to talk to the kids about love. I really and truly believe that love is such a beautiful gift to give and to recieve that it's shameful when people put restrictions on it. "2 men can't love each other" or "2 women can't love each other". How small minded is that??? Love is much too precious to be made wrong by people who are afraid that seeing a gay couple holding hands will emotionally scar their kids for life. Also, talking to children about gay couples doesn't mean that the children are getting sexual details. I think that the daycare did the right thing by letting the family go. I did the same thing with the kid in my care who was already a full-fledged bigot. I had to because I didn''t want him to poison the hearts of the other kids in my care. I won't have that. Maybe that's what the provider for the OP did. Maybe she could see the writing on the wall. I stand by my opinion that the OP has a prejudice against gay people because if she didn't, then she wouldn't have felt the need to address any Gay Pride related issues in the first place. If it walks like a duck and it talks like a duck...then it's a duck.

I'm not offended! Gay Pride is no different than Martin Luther King Day in my book and I'm pretty sure we'd all be up in arms if the poster had said they didn't want thier kids to participate in that or Black History Day or Susan B. Anthony Day...