View Single Post
Janet 12:25 PM 08-06-2010
One of my best friends in high school lived a complete lie because she didn't want to make anyone uncomfortable because of her sexual preference. No one beat her up or threatened her in any way because she didn't tell them. The reason that she never told them is because it was already clear to her that being a lesbian was something that other people were uncomfortable with. So basically, until she moved out of state, she had to pretend that she was a straight woman because of other peoples hang-ups. That is the ultimate in self hatred to me. It starts in childhood. Children are not deaf, they hear their parents and other people that they get their beliefs from talk. They take on those beliefs as their own until the time comes, if it ever comes at all, for them to choose their own beliefs. I'm sorry but this is a big deal. I'm sick to death of people trying to make it OK. The old standard "I'm not prejudiced, I have a gay friend, so I don't judge. But being gay is against my religion. It's a sin." is just so backwards. Pick a side of the fence and stick to it already! A PERSON CANNOT BE SUPPORTIVE OF A PERSON'S SEXUAL PREFERENCE AND SAY THAT THEY DON'T JUDGE PEOPLE AND THEN IN THE SAME BREATH SAY THAT IT'S AGAINST THEIR RELIGION AND THEY FEEL IT IS WRONG. If we all want the world to be a peaceful place and if we want a world that has unity, then judging anything as right or wrong is totally off the mark. The OP could have just as easily checked a calendar of upcoming events with the provider and then just not brought her child if she noticed any type of event that she found unnacceptable. She could have asked the provider if there were any events coming up and then if the provider said yes, then the OP could have just not brought the child that day and left it at that, but the OP decided to open her mouth and tell the provider that she didn't want her child to participate. Was that even neccessary? Let me put this scenario out there for everyone....what if the provider was gay and the OP asked that same question? Put yourself in the shoes of the provider (if she were gay) and think about how that would make you feel. I don't know that the provider was gay, but what if she were? Think about that.