View Single Post
LAUSD teacher 11:11 AM 12-23-2010
I am aghast at the lack of compassion and understanding for both parent and child from the users on this site. Mostly, I am appalled at the complete disregard for the needs of children while the convenience of the teacher/administrators are clearly the priority over the child here. I am myself a teacher and I certainly believe that satisfying the needs of parents, children and teachers alike are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

This particular child is obviously in need of progressing intellectually, regardless of his physical deficits, just like any other child with challenges. And yes, I can certainly see how potty training would be delayed by a lack of focus and attention. I have, on several occasions delayed my own restore use (like we all have) because I have had other pressing matters. Can you imagine what that feeling must be like for a 3-year-old who is (age-appropriately) illogical?

I might also mention that if this child were part of the public system, he would very likely have an IEP or section 504, making his accommodation a federal mandate. The teacher and facility may be fined, sued and even prosecuted for not meeting his needs. The right to a free and equal education is constitutional and if it would appear that is individual did not receive one, he would be entitled to support that is publicly funded.

My point is that this boy is 3-years-old right now but all too soon he will be an adult, burdened by all the hang-ups, baggage and injury of life. Shouldn't we assume the responsibility of avoiding potential developmental deficits in the years that are the most fundamental? As a high school teacher, try as I might, some students are no longer "reachable" at their level and emotional state.

Lastly, as a parent, I cringe at the thought of just about every adult at his school directly or indirectly rejecting this child. I used to think that a 3-year-old was not likely to perceive this subtle response but speaking to my 3-year-old, non-potty-trained, remarkably intelligent but physically delayed, preemie twin daughter, I realized that her feelings were genuinely hurt by her teachers telling other children what a great job they've done when they went potty while my daughter consistently waits in line patiently, raises her hand, says please and thank you, uses her words instead of her hands when she is frustrated and sits on the potty and waits and waits and waits for something to happen.

While she can say her alphabet, letters, shapes, colors, numbers and even do a bit of sight reading, she can't understand why all of her old friends and, perhaps soon, her twin sister are able to advance to the three year old room but she must stay behind.

Perhaps the money we pay to daycare is not such a good value in the end.

Both my twin girls are currently on a waiting list for a different daycare as well as 2 other children from our current private daycare. One of the parents has referred me to a district-run daycare and I am not at all surprised to find that more of these are to open soon. I also heard that a local private daycare closed this fall for lack of enrollment and our own daycare's director has said that, despite the school's celebrity enrollment, general local enrollment has declined.

As my own students often remark, "just sayin"!