Thread: Paid Vacation
View Single Post
Blackcat31 05:38 AM 10-22-2014
Originally Posted by taylorw1210:
I just had to explain this to a new mom who interviewed yesterday. They want to enroll with me, and while mom understands why I have the paid time off I have in my policies, dad is not happy with it.

I take 5 days of paid vacation, but I also give 5 days of unpaid vacation time to my families - and they have the option of using it during my vacation or reserving it for their own. 50% of my families take it during mine, and the other 50% reserve it for their own.

I do not take any personal days or sick days paid.

I do close for the federal holidays, paid, however.
IME, it seems that no matter how you do it, if the parents have to pay for even one day that services are not available, they do.not.get.it.

Once I upped my rate and said the words "You do NOT pay for days child care is closed" there was no more discussion, no more questions, no more further explaining, no confused parents and no one that tried to push back.

It's the weirdest thing but I figure it's got to be the way humans simply perceive things. I think it's in our nature to not want to have to do something (in this case pay) for something we do not get. kwim?

Funny thing is, that like I said above I actually make a bit more money over the year but parents don't seem to notice or care. I guess they are willing to pay $5 more per day than pay for a day they don't have services.