Thread: Xmas Presents
View Single Post
Chickenhauler 10:40 AM 12-11-2009
Originally Posted by tymaboy:
I hate the way our school system does lunch. My DS will choose to wait till he gets home to eat cuz we think someone else punches in a wrong number on the system then someone elses account gets charged. We think that happens to DS account but when he says something they dont do anything about it.
Originally Posted by mac60:
My kids were in high school when they started this at our school, and we had the same issues. We could go online and check their account to make sure deposits were made. I did that, and I also called on more than one occassion that his money was not in his account. We just lost the money. They even would ask us which "lady" it was given too.....when in fact there was just a "box" it was dropped in and "no lady". I got tired of the crap with our system. All it takes is the person to punch in 1 wrong number and the monies go into the wrong account. I know it happens.

My sister works at the elementary school and tells me the horror stories of the lunch room. How a kid will have maxed out their charges because parents did not send in money. And how they will get a pnt btr sandwich and a milk day after day for lunch because they have irresponsible parents who don't give a damn whether they eat or not. My sister has on many occassions paid for a childs lunch.
When we lived in OR, we could "deposit" money into the kids lunch accounts using our debit cards, and the "code" was thumbprint....nobody else's kid could use my kids "code".

Originally Posted by jen:
How many kids do you have? Don't get me wrong...I completely believe that they are MY children and MY responsbility to feed...however, for people who have had set-backs and have more than one child, lunch can get expensive. I've got 3 kids, lunch is 2.20/day, so if there are 20 school days in a month, the minimum is $132.

HOWEVER, our school has revamped the lunch menues to focus more on fruits and vegetable, and less on meats. Which is fine, unless you are 15, the starting point guard for the basetball team, and STARVING. In which case, you will also be paying for a 2nd entree...an additional $1.50 per day...

My biggest pet peeve...that they are offering additional "sides" of fruit roll-up, pop-tarts, cookies, water bottles....I called and put a hold on my kids account because they were going through lunch money like crazy!
I have two kids, and a third on the way.

Reason I say it's "CHEAP", even @ $2.20 per meal, where are you going to get ANYTHING for that, much less prepared and served hot?

Heck, even a frozen pizza that isn't cardboard with ketchup on it costs $5, and then you still gotta cook it and toss in a beverage (milk or juice).

Heck, I just dropped $10 on a Reuben, fries and a Sprite.

Can you feed 60 meals (3 kids, 20 school days) for $132, even at home? It'd be tough......

My take on "bottled water".....if the water at the fountain or tap is that unsafe, maybe it's time to drill a new well. Bottled water is the best marketing gimmick ever. Still mad I missed out on the ground floor on that scam.