View Single Post
Heidi 04:49 AM 08-08-2014
Originally Posted by Laurel:
While you are sorting things out and trying to find a solution, I'd put long sleeves and pants on your child. At least this helps with the pain of a bite. I realize it is summer but inside it is air conditioned.

I also think the staff needs to know you are ready to pull soon if this is not resolved.

It does sound like the staff is trying. It is a hard situation from their perspective too. I've had a biter or two in my home daycare over the years. So hard as it happens so fast even when you are closely supervising.

Laurel
Especially when there appear to be multiple biters! I feel bad for everyone involved.

OP; keep in mind, you may find another wonderful program or FCC, but your child could have the same issues there. Unfortunately, biting is a rather common 1-year old behavior. It's certainly not acceptable behavior, but it's common.

Consider this: Hitting and pushing are also common and unacceptable behaviors. You don't know about each on of those incidents, though. The difference is that biting leaves a mark.

In my daycare, the typical biting scenario has been that the child bitten usually "invades" the other's space, and biting, unfortunately, is a very effective way to get someone to move away. If they're open to suggestions, perhaps making splitting the room with shelving or gates into two areas (so everyone is in sight and sound) and bringing down the lights/noise a bit could help. Maybe the room is overwhelming? That, and as much outdoor time as they can get. For some reason, outdoor biting seems rare.