View Single Post
CityGarden 09:17 AM 01-25-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
But is it age appropriate to give a 22 month old the power/choice to refuse all options at multiple stores until the CHILD decides they find something they like/want? That was the case in this situation.

I guess what I am getting at, is I am surprised/shocked at parents giving children, at such young ages, so much say so in decisions about everything in their lives. Not just clothes/shoes, but food they want for meals, bedtimes, etc.
I totally understand listening to your children's opinions and giving them choices as they age, but I feel like some parents go over the top with this and let the children "run the show".
Yes there are parents who go over the top, but that is the nature of some people in general.... in example I am religious but I have friends who are over the top religious to me (i.e. God will heal me, no need for medicine or doctor visits let's pray for it instead.)

My dd was very sensitive to clothing and food even as a non-verbal infant / toddler by being responsive to her clear clues (fussiness until the clothing tag was removed, or the fabric that was bothering her, rashes, etc.) I was able to very early on discover dd has two food allergies one minor and one severe plus eczema. My dd did not run the show.... but I was responsive to her even at a young age. This early information helped us avoid a food that could have killed her in minutes. By contrast my cousin's son had the same reaction to the minor food allergen as my dd yet his mom ignored (and continues to ignore) all the signs her son is sick more often than my dd and has rashes that they have to medicate constantly even though his pediatrician said eliminating the food from his diet could drastically improve the child's quality of life still mom feels he will outgrow it with exposure because she is the mom.... that approach while not life and death is no better than mine even though mom is "running the show"...

I try to not get too involved with my dc families parenting styles, just like I try to not over invest myself in my friends or family members political or religious views.