View Single Post
Lissa Kristine 09:28 AM 11-15-2017
My current boss doesn't allow kids outside if it's under 40 degrees outside (we're in New Jersey). We have one child who isn't allowed out under 60 degrees. Only the 18 month+ crew gets to go outside (along with a 14 and 15 month old who are walking and have shoes/outdoor clothing). None of the babies go outside at ALL. Personally, I'd put jackets and hats on the babies if the weather is cooler and take them on a 10-15 minute walk in a "Bye Bye Baby Buggy" up and down the street to give them a little sunshine and fresh air. I'm all for outside time as long as there's not a severe weather advisory in effect for the area. If it's a little warmer or cooler (but not UNSAFE), I say dress the children appropriately and keep outside time shorter. If the weather is really nice (like 60s-70s), I say bring snack/lunch outdoors and spend the entire day outside (minus naps and bathroom breaks).

I worked at another place where the kids were outside ALL the time. If it was rainy (not storming, obviously), they'd put on rain jackets and boots and splash around in puddles. If there was snow on the ground, they'd bundle up and play in the snow. Even the babies who weren't walking went outside. Sometimes, they crawled around and played in the grass (or they'd bring a bouncy seat or blanket out for a littler baby). Other times, they got to go for stroller rides. It was great.