View Single Post
misol 02:58 PM 05-21-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a parent who is chronically late...i mean almost every time lately. We have upped their rate for late pick up already, but they don't seem to care. We love the child but what do we do??? Its anywhere from 5 min to a half hour, my teachers are tired of staying? Do we call child protective services???
What does your contract say about late pickups? Has anyone spoken to her about the matter before? If not, I would suggest that first. At this verbal warning, have a copy of her contract available to review the hours that she agreed to. Tell her that your records indicate that she has been late "40" times in the past "2" months and you wanted to discuss whether the contracted hours were still meeting her needs. At the end f the discussion tell her if it happens again that she will get a written warning.

At the written warning meeting tell her that you are revisiting the issue again because the lateness has continued in spite of the original discussion. Tell her you generally abide by a 3 strikes rule and the next step will either be suspension or termination for abuse of the policy. Make sure she signs the written warning which should include a reference to the date of the verbal warning, as well as a statement about the next steps you will take.

If you really want to keep the child, suspend him for a week and let him back. All the while I would be looking to fill his spot in case you have to end up terminating or she gets pissed and wants to pull him.