Thread: DCB Injury
View Single Post
Leigh 07:32 PM 03-26-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
So I was changing dcb and I checked out his chest. It looks totally fine... MAYBE a little swollen on one side of the bone and then there's the scratch in the middle. I said "oh man, bud, how did you get this ouchie?" ... not really saying it to him, but just thinking out loud. He very clearly said "my mama hurt me" and then dcb4 said "yeah my mom poked him too hard" the what did she do now?

So I asked "oh bummer, that stinks when that happens. How did she poke him too hard?"

Dcb4 says "she has too long fingernails and she accidentally poked him"

Ugh, I'm sick to my stomach now. I know you have to take what they say with a grain of salt which is why I didn't outright ask them in the first place, but they both said it was mom without me probing, kwim?
This would have warranted a call to CPS from me. #1 because of the mom leaving marks on the child that were bad enough to warrant an ER visit, but mostly to cover my own butt. I'd have them come interview the kids at my home IMMEDIATELY. I truly doubt that CPS would find that Mom was abusive, BUT they would at least document the incident in case something happens in the future. And, Mom poking a kid in the chest (whose chest supposedly needs to be handled gently) isn't exactly "good mom" behavior, IMO.