View Single Post
Mariposa 11:16 PM 08-03-2020
When I did billing as a Director for childcare..it took me a couple of hours a week in my already packed day...if I took off charges for every time a child was sick (or "sick"...."I don't have to pay for my sick child, so I'll just claim they;re sick" says Mommy) I would a) spend WAY more than 2 hours on billing b) would not know how many kids are expected in the day so I could not 1) plan staff 2) plan food 3) plan activities. This requires planning, shopping, spending, creating. For your kid not to show so I have to reimburse. With funds I spent expecting their arrival.

Companies. WOULD. NOT. STAY. IN. BUSINESS.

I get it--it seems like you're not getting anything in return, it is "expensive" for you to pay.
Here's what your tuition covers:

1) overhead--rent, electricity, garbage.
2) staffing...UNDERPAID staff. And not just your child's teacher. the Cook, the Director, direct staff, office staff, maintenance.
3) Supplies. You know, paper and paint.
4) Food. The abundance of food USDA requires.
5) Space so you can return and not be like Hurricane Katrina dad.
6) Respect to your provider because forking out money is very hard for us humans to do. Paying someone is a sign of respect in our world.

I just started my in-home. I do get kids get sick, it's out of our control. What I personally do is provide a 50% refund since I charge for the month ahead, after 3 days based off my discretion--both sick or vacation. 2 days is normal for small illnesses. 3 or more mean something more serious. However, it's my discretion--if I feel a parent is pulling one on me, or they take too many vacations, I don't give the discount. (Ex: If you're camping each weekend vs the one planned vacation that year).
the 50% I keep pays my admin cost. Your kid may not be here, but I'm still working for the next time your child is here.

So far I'm really lucky my child care is not crucial to my household income, so I can do this. If I could not, I would not provide a discount. But I still almost choked when I saw how much money I lost off a child's absence last month because of my discount. I totally died a little inside--but I know parents appreciate it, so it's better in the long run.

It's a cruddy situation. Parents sometimes make too much for state subsidies, but not enough to pay daycare. Providers don't get paid much. We really need to revamp our system for more free care and treat birth-5 as an important part of their education and make it free. And have adequate funding for staff.

Thanks for reading. I'm on a lot of soapboxes tonight.