View Single Post
Crystal 12:05 PM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
Don't take this personally, but I HATE when colleges do that. It really takes away from those who had to earn those 120 credits and demeans integrity of a Master's degree in my opinion. It doesn't happen in careers that are deemed "professional" and when it happens in other areas, like early childhood education, it just belittles the profession even further. You don't hear of a doctor, lawyer or CPA getting "life experience" credit.
I don't take that personally. And, I hear ya. I can see where there would be some controversy. The thing is though, many of the student's in this program do have the coursework behind them, but they do not hold a B.A. I am close in having that many units. I think it comes down to be able to prove your competence in the field. If you can demonstarte competence, then I think there should be some allowance for life experience. And, this is a Professional Degree....it will allow me to teach at the college level.

One thing I find funny about it is you will, quite often, hear providers complaining that experience is more valuable than education, but when something like this comes up, they'll decide that you really do need the education, rather than the experience. Especially if it is another provider they do not care for who is embracing the opportunity. (don't take that personally, it wasn't directed at you)