View Single Post
Unregistered 12:52 AM 01-27-2015
After reading most of the comments from child care providers, I still don't get it it. I understand if a center with paid staff needs to close to keep their staff off the road, etc. Fine. If you are charging parents full tuition, then there is absolutely no excuse NOT to pay your staff for the snow day. All the arguments for charging tuition also apply to paying your staff a living wage for the unexpected closure. That's another issue about good labor practices.

This post is a plea to be discerning when you close down. Sounds like a lot of providers on this post are making assumptions about the relative wealth of their clients and their presumed level of disposable income.

My issue is that my home daycare provider is closing for two days when all forecasts are saying that this storm will be over by the end of tomorrow. Yes, public schools are closed. That's to keep buses off the road and protect kids from standing in snow banks while waiting for school buses. What does that have to do with my HOME daycare provider? She used to stay open for parents who needed the care, which is why people choose home daycare - it's more reliable in many ways. But now, she wants to follow center policies (they get to close -and I could sure use a day off). Guess I'll be looking for a center where my kids will be more stimulated anyways. (Really - they are getting really bored there). By the way, my provider does not have any children, etc, and works with her mother who also lives in the house. I chose her because I liked their family, facilities, and their promise that there would be few unexpected closures.

I'm a single divorced mother of two receiving nothing from dad. I don't get paid time off. I can't work from home when the 2 and 4 year old are home. (I am typing this at 3:30am as I take a break from some work I brought home). If I have to find alternate care, then I am paying twice - and paying more than I earn for a single day. Childcare providers should not take closures lightly. And stop talking about the contract. I expect to be home with the kids when it is truly unsafe to drive. I also expect to pay in these rare circumstances. I am expected to be at work when the roads are cleared. And I expect to be able to take my kids to daycare when there is no holiday or emergency road conditions. I'm paying for it.