View Single Post
lovemykidstoo 10:40 AM 05-02-2019
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I expect parents to do the majority of PT work.
But, I also expect ALL the signs of readiness to be present before we start at daycare.
That includes: willingness/interest to use the toilet, verbalizing the need to go, independently undressing and sitting down, wiping (I supervise until trained for around 1 month) as well as remaining dry for longer periods of time during the day with predictable bowel movements.

I have a handout I give when they first start asking or hinting at PT. I also send out a "next steps" PT letter when they are about to graduate to undies. I want them to know exactly what I expect and what happens if it's not successful at first (or regression).
The verbalizing is what gets me every single time. I have so many parents that want to start potty training at various ages. The thing is, most of the kids are not verbal about it. So how is that potty training if I'm putting them on the toilet at certain times of the day instead of them letting me know they have to go. Isnt' that called the elimination method or something? My one dcm has a 22 month old boy. She came yesterday all excited because he's been saying poop after he goes poo in his diaper. Great! I've heard him say poo, bye, coat, momma, dadda. That's it. I'm thinking, well on your 1 week vacation, you see how that goes when he tells you he has to go.

Same one Monday as she came in, he stands there and puts his feet up in the air one by one as she takes off his shoes. I told her he's been taking his shoes off himself when we come in from outside play. She says oh yea we've been working on that with him. Reminded me of another thread about that subject how the parent takes sole responsibility or acknowledgement of something you know they're not working with them on. lol I had to laugh because never has he taken his own shoes off with her in the morning. lol