View Single Post
Laurel 04:30 AM 08-15-2013
For those of you that have a house just for daycare, I have some questions.

My two provider friends and I were wondering how you would make a profit. One of these friends used to own two centers herself. We just figure the laws must be different because we can't have a home in a residential area unless we live in it. We'd have to get another building zoned for business. Therefore it is a center and not a home child care.

If you have a house is it in a residential neighborhood? If you don't live in it than can you have more children? We have to be licensed and can only have up to 10 and then because of the age restrictions it only makes sense to keep 6 because the other 4 wouldn't be full time. Plus if we did have the full 10 we'd need another person and have to pay them.

We could only make a second home work if it worked like a center meaning we would be allowed to have a lot more children to cover the mortgage of the second house. Plus then you have to pay the mortgage to the house you live in, workers, etc.

We can see the advantages of not having it in your home as far as not having daycare stuff all over and people in an out of your home but financially we are at a loss as to how it works out to be profitable.

The only way we can think that one here would (if we were allowed) is to have a lot more children and more adults. It would basically be center-like and not home-like though as there would be tons more children to make it profitable.

So how does it work legally and financially where you are?

How many children do you watch, how many adults are full time/part time, is the size of the house a factor in how many children can be there, etc.

Thanks, Laurel