View Single Post
missy 12:10 PM 08-17-2013
I am currently shopping for a house to use strictly as a daycare. I am in PA and the state laws allow it as long as I have so many square feet per child of living space, so many employees for certain numbers of children, and I get all the appropriate licensures, etc. As for the house, every municipality /township /borough here has their own zoning laws. Where I am is a city of about 75k and they allow a house to be zoned as a business in the more densely populated areas. At first that didn't make sense to me but I guess they just don't want businesses in the rural areas generally speaking. So I have a pretty good range of areas where I can buy a house.

Here, I can buy a big house (I am looking for min.1700 sq.ft. to over 2000) that is a little older maybe but updated and very nice for $70-99k. So a mortgage would be 650-850 give or take. If I leased office space that size I would be throwing away about $2100 a month!! With no investment! So the way I see it, if something were to happen to my business I would still own real estate that I could rent out or sell. Plus all my expenses for the house are tax writeoffs just like a business. So where I live its a great idea.