View Single Post
deidremccl 12:12 PM 07-08-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
I have worked in 2 fairly large centers in the past (for 14 years altogether). Truthfully, you probably get the same input each day because teachers have limited time to actually fill out the daily sheets so they just jot down the same basic things. We had to help the kids get down for nap, take breaks, do lesson planning, change a diaper/take a child to the potty during this time here and there, sometimes had to leave early because of ratios, all during the 2/3 hour or less nap time. Plus, like Heidi said, with toddlers there is a lot of repetition. We (well myself at least) always accurately did the potty times and in one center, we were required to keep track of how many servings each child had and had to write them on the daily sheets, but it didn't always work out to be able to keep close track between serving, helping the kids, talking to them, etc... Plus, like others have said, a lot of parents don't read the sheets (I was like you when my daughter went the dc that I worked at, I read everything) and I've seen them crumpled up in bags, thrown away, etc...

You could see if your center does any kind of observation or assessments to see what your daughter does or doesn't do, appropriate for her age.

As for the smart phone app idea, it's a great idea, but most centers don't allow teachers to have their cell phones in the classrooms. They would have to have a center smartphone and most aren't willing to pay for one and emails are a great idea, but the classrooms would have to have a computer in them as it is difficult to be able to leave to go on one outside of the room.

I hope I'm making sense...lol
Thank you. You are making perfect sense and make a lot of great points. Daycare teachers have a tough job and I would definitely rather have them focused on the children instead of filling out paperwork.

Thank you for the great idea on observation/assessment.