View Single Post
TomCopeland 12:26 PM 12-18-2010
If you are terminating because of your own medical issue I would still not put the reason in writing. You would tell the parent verbally what is going on (without sacrificing more of your own privacy than you want).

The basic reason for not putting reasons in writing is that it won't help you and it can hurt you. I do believe that parents may still be insulted or make complaints whether or not you put reasons in writing, but when you put it in writing it's out there for the parent to stew over and show to others (including licensing).

I haven't heard of licensing giving providers a hard time because they didn't put reasons in writing. You can keep your own written records of your reasons without sharing it with parents.

I haven't heard of parents filing discrimination cases against providers. I'm just trying to reduce the incidents of complaints and parent anger which can be even more incited when something is in writing.

I'm all for working with parents to make things work out - talking, negotiating, sharing your reasons verbally for what needs to change, etc. In the end, after you have made your decision to terminate, it's best (in my opinion) not to spell things out. The time for communication and explanation is over.

Some providers feel driven to explain their reasons for what they do in the hopes that the parent will understand and agree with them. You don't have to justify everything you do. Some parents will never agree with you and no amount of explaining will help the situation.