View Single Post
MCC 11:32 AM 10-07-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Doesn't make one bit of sense to be that the parents refuse hearing aids AND refuse to sign. Very odd. Most choose either, or both. Can't imagine a parent denying a child the gift of communication, on purpose. Super odd.
I have some hard core deaf culture friends, and none of them would advocate NO sign language. Many are anti-hearing aids though, and implants are super controversial among deaf culture advocates.

I am getting the impression that they don't want to have her wear the aids or teach sign b/c they are in a bit of denial about the situation. The child has no words, none. She doesn't say anything, though she will "hum" a tune, so I know she does hear music and pitch. If I say "fish" to her, she will say "sss" back- she needs therapy, her aids, sign language, something, probably a combination of all- I am not going to be the one to tell them that, but the child deserves to be able to communicate.

Yes- for me, the biggest issue is the nap, but the parent is mad/offended anyway, so the nap is a moot point.