View Single Post
Indoorvoice 09:52 AM 10-16-2018
I watch a 20 month old and not sure if I'm expecting too much in the communication department.

When he wants or needs something he will not initiate by saying a word, pointing, gesturing, anything. He will just stare at me longingly until he starts to cry. In fact he really doesn't initiate any sort of communication with me. He will sometimes grunt or nod or shake his head if I initiate the interaction first, but he never comes to me to indicate that he wants to ask something or anything.

Example at lunch today. I have been putting only the main course on his plate at meal times and then I put his milk and fruit and veggies just out of reach so he has to somehow indicate that he wants them. He loves all foods. Today he was staring at his milk and started pouting so I knew he wanted his milk. I waited to see if he would get my attention. Nothing. Just pouting at his milk. After 10 minutes, I said "what do you want?" nothing. Wouldn't even look at me. I said "I think you want your milk. Say milk!" (I know he able to sign milk). Again, nothing.

Is he to young to expect him to do this? I'm comparing him to the other infants I had who've all been early talkers so perhaps I'm being too hard on him. Thoughts? Advice?