Thread: Soy Milk
View Single Post
GretasLittleFriends 11:59 AM 04-17-2012
Originally Posted by LittleD:
Does he have an intolerance, or she just prefers him to drink soy? It should be a no brainer, but I had a kids who was "lactose intolerant" but his mom said he could have yogurt and cheese. Just confused me cuz, well, isn't that lactose?
The pediatrician told me my daughter is lactose intolerant. She had issues with GERD (acid reflux) as a baby as well. She will be 2 the end of this month.

She can have most cheeses, but not all. She can have yogurt. She can drink lactose free milk (brands available here are Lactaid and Deans), soy, rice, almond, and goats milk. We have not tried coconut milk, though I suspect she'd be ok with that. She can eat Kraft Mac & Cheese that is made with 1/4c 1% milk per box.

She cannot eat homemade alfredo/white sauce (it uses too much milk), cream of _____ soup, even tomato soup made with milk bothers her. I found out the other day that breakfast pizza is not a good choice for her either. She cannot have regular ice cream, but she can have frozen yogurt, sherbert, and apparently they make lactose free ice cream, though I haven't looked for it.

My understanding is that these different dairy foods are processed/made different ways thus changing the way the lactose reacts with her body. If I am not careful her symptoms can range from stomach ache and her being irritated to disgusting diapers to vomitting within a half hour after she eats something.