View Single Post
Abigail 12:08 PM 12-16-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have an In-Home Child Care. One of the children that I have been watching has been in my care for 16 months. The child began to hurt other children and was very disruptive so I have tried talking to the parents about five times about what was happening. I decided to give them a week to find alternative child care because he was continuing his actions. The mother got very upset with me and was very unprofessional towards me and in front of the other children. After her reaction she slammed my daycare door and walked out, ignoring me as I was still talking. I went after her and told her that I could not have her coming back next week at all if she was going to act like that towards me as I felt it was very disrespectful. I am a professional and I take pride in what I do and for a parent to treat me like that, I never would have expected it. Well to get to the point, she canceled the check for that week of $100 and then my bank account was charged $20 for her canceling the check. I was told to take her to small claims court because I am running a business and I provided a service to her. I also have my contract that she and her husband both signed when putting their son my care, that they would pay me $35.00 a day to provide care to their son....I am still sending her child's Christmas present and card through the mail..like I had planned on before seeing that she canceled the check.....Any advice? Thank you
Is it in your contract that you only give a one week notice when terminating or that you can terminate immediately? If not, then she is allowed to "walk off". If that $100 was for care you already provided then you need to write her a demand letter (why not with the Christmas gift?! LOL) asking for the required fees as they signed or you will submit it to small claims on such and such date. She should owe you her $100, your banks $20 fee, any fee you have associated with a NSF check, and any late fees is you charge those. Give her 2 weeks and don't provide care until she pays.