View Single Post
daycare 07:42 PM 05-28-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
Exactly... Unfortunately there's no protection against this.

Just a little story to share... A girl on my Facebook that I know from another forum who lives here in CA posted about looking for a job but it's so difficult because she needs to make at least $15/hr just to break even after paying for daycare, doesn't include anything else. Finding a job for more than $15/hr is nearly impossible around here, especially as a mom who's been out of the workforce for some time raising children. I thought she did daycare and asked her why she wasn't doing daycare anymore and I guess she was license-exempt and only watching one family but that ended awhile back. I told her to consider getting her license and doing licensed care because it beats paying for daycare when you have so many little ones and need to make $X amount to break even. She said that her landlord won't let her run a business from her home and won't allow her to have a daycare. I replied that that's totally illegal and he can't do that and linked the one posted way up at the top of this page with legal advice about daycare and tentant issues. So she replies that her landlord is a lawyer so he knows what he's talking about... Oh I was LOL I think what she's doing is trying to NOT work and make it impossible to find a job for herself and then she can just SAH. But I wonder how many other people don't realize they're being lied to and illegally denied the right to run a small daycare from their home. It's crazy!!!
This is not true... I have spent the last two days on the phone with fair housing and they, not me are now filing and suing this lady.

they called her on my behalf to try to educate her on the laws in ca about tenant rights. She told them that she was refusing to rent to me becasue of the daycare and so they told her if that is your answer we are going to file aganist you.

It has been one long nightmare and then to top it all off today I have an unannounced inspection. I passed that with flying colors. I can show you proof of what fair housing sent to me about the law. It does not only apply to after you have secured the property.