View Single Post
GretasLittleFriends 07:05 AM 01-07-2010
I will admit my dc kids eat much better here than they do at home generally. I mean that two ways. They may be picky eaters at home, but most of them eat whatever I put in front of them. Also, the majority of the time they get a good quality home-cooked meal. I do have to say though that my kids are usually here for pm snack, dinner and evening snack. I have some that are am snack and lunch, but most eat dinner here.

I make a variety of things. Homemade chicken alfredo (with homemade sauce), meatloaf, pot roast/roast beef, "steak" fajitas (using left over roast beef meat), baked chicken drummies... Last week I cooked a turkey in the oven, they had that. With the left over turkey meat I made homemade potpie (from scratch) and also chow mein. I ALWAYS make mashed potatoes from real potatoes. I cannot stand box potatoes. That and we grow a huge garden and still have a lot of potatoes in our cellar pantry.

Of course I have kids that hear what I'm going to make for dinner and say "Oh, I don't like that, I'm not going to eat it." My response is that's what I'm making, if you don't eat it too bad for you. I usually just make dinner and put it in front of them. I have a fairly new family, and last week I made meatloaf. I served it up, the kids scarfed it down. I asked my husband who wasn't eating with us at the dinner table if he wanted more meatloaf before I put the leftovers away, and the younger boy replied "Oh, I don't like meatloaf." This child had just asked for seconds of "that" pointing to the meatloaf. Made me giggle.

There are nights I don't plan ahead and am running short on time so we have things like mac & cheese or hamburgers with homemade baked fries (back to the I have tons of potatoes). Last night we had pizza, Jack's brand.