View Single Post
Starburst 01:31 PM 04-18-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
You have some great ideas, but make sure to check with licensing to make sure you are doing it right so if they come, you don't get cited. Here in MI, for centers, we have to wear gloves at every change and also wash our hands and each child's hands after every change and change gloves after every change. For FCC's we don't have to wear gloves, but are required to wash our hands and the children's hands after every change. Also, we have to have a non-porous diaper changing mat and have to sanitize it after each change either with soap water then rinse water then either bleach water and let it air dry or something like Lysol and it has to be done exactly how the directions say to sanitize. Of course, it's almost impossible to wait for the bleach water/Lysol to air dry if you are doing multiple changes, but when I worked in a center and if licensing was there, they always understood that we couldn't wait that long to change every one if we waited for it to dry.
I do like your idea of having different washable gloves for each child! I wish we could do that here, it would save me lots of money!
Now that I think about it, I think there was a debate in that class about if you still had to wash your hands after gloves. I think there may have been room for compromise and not breaking the rules if you used hand sanitizer as a temporary hand washer between diapers and glove changes, but I am not 100% sure. I would probably still have gloves available anyway in case of blow outs or in case of accidents with potty training kids (even thought I will wash my hands after anyway, does not mean I want to come in direct skin contact with bodily waste).

ETA:
And I didn't see the part of that question about the children washing their hands. In that video for younger ones they just got a fresh wipey and washed their hands with that as long as they didn't touch Feces. But I think if the child is old enough to stand and hold themselves up you might want to start teaching them to wash their hands so they get in the habit of it later.