View Single Post
permanentvacation 07:00 PM 06-26-2015
I understand her not wanting to have to take medicine. I understand that she feels funny having to take medicine in front of her friends when she's at sleep overs. I understand that each time she takes it, it reminds her that she 'has problems'. However, she has to realize that those are the cards she has been dealt and she has to accept them and just do what she has to do (take her medicine properly) to be able to live a happy, productive, and successful life. I think as she gets older and matures more, she will not let the 'odd man out' feeling get to her. Right now, it's new to her and she just wants to be like everyone else. She doesn't want to be 'the one who has to take medicine'. She just wants to be a normal kid like everyone else.

Yes, the psychiatrist also backed me up on her not helping me and mistreating me. She told my daughter things like, "That's your mother. If she needs help carrying something or doing something, you should simply help her out of respect and care for her." and things along that line. Then she also told us that her unwillingness to help and overall negative attitude is very likely due to not taking the medicine consistently.

The psychiatrist also told both of us that I should not buy anything for her or do anything for her other then fulfill her basic survival needs until she starts showing me respect, treating me properly, and taking care of the items that I have already given her.

So I told her that I won't buy her anything or do anything extra for her until she does those things AND takes her medicine like she's supposed to. She has taken her medicine properly since seeing the psychiatrist and her behavior has been 100% better! I told her that she HAS to put a mattress cover on her bed (which I brought up at the psychiatrist's appointment and the doctor gave her a speech agreeing with me that she needs to protect her mattress with a waterproof cover) and that she needed to wash her comforter that I had recently bought her which the cat spilled her coffee on. I gave her money to take the comforter to the laundry mat (my washer and dryer are too small for it) and for her to buy a mattress cover. She went immediately and washed her comforter and bought a cover.

I am going to administer her medicine to her and hopefully she will continue to have a good behavior. I will also start drilling it into her that SHE needs to be the one reminding ME that she needs her medicine. Eventually I will try to give her control of taking the medicine herself again.