View Single Post
Febby 06:00 PM 10-26-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:

There is a huge difference, IMO between a therapist coming in to provide services, and a visitor who is just hanging out. In my state if the child is receiving therapy, they can be alone with the therapist who has had the necessary background checks - and this has nothing to do with me/my license (this was made emphatically clear in a training by licensing with the head of the division of licensing sitting right there). Obviously if you actually witness inappropriate behavior on the part of the therapist then you should speak up, but how often would that realistically happen?
My state is the same; therapists can be alone with the child they are providing therapy to. You cannot, of course, leave them to supervise and direct your entire group.

Somewhere in my center's parent handbook it states that we allow outside observers such as licensing inspectors, fire inspectors, health inspectors, STARS observers, etc. and that children in the class may receive therapy (speech, behavioral, etc.) and that it may take place with the group. Parents aren't really given a choice. Of course, I work at a large center (over 250 children and 12 classrooms) so informing parents ahead of time would be a headache.