View Single Post
LovetheSun 01:55 PM 10-27-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:

I'll be honest, it kind of bothers me that this is even a question (should I allow a therapist to come in?) So often providers come here to complain that parents are not taking their concerns about their child seriously and not getting them services that would be beneficial (speech, OT, PT, etc) Then when they do, we try to insist that they do it on their time, refuse to "allow" it, etc.
I've found most therapists to be awesome in giving me choices about times, and such. Usually they might work within the group and then maybe take the child out for a bit for 1:1. Most are excellent at including all the kids, and then being able to separate when the time comes - it's what they do for a living.
I feel as though in home providers especially have a reputation for being uneducated and "backwards" or glorified SAHM's - who are basically "sitting" while the kids play. So when they "refuse" to allow a licensed, background checked therapist in the program I feel as though it cements the idea in many people minds that the "sitter" is being shady, sneaky, etc and has something to hide.
If a child is at my house most of their waking hours, all week long, it makes sense that the therapist would want to come here.
I hear your perspective. In this case, it been over a year I've been working very hard with this family and strongly strongly recommended a therapy (turns out he needs behavior therapy, physical and had ADHD).
We always done our best, I even speak on the punk with the theraphist.
My concerns was the others children and the families. I was wondering if they would be against it as their children attend.

I find it reassuring that is common which I can then mention to parents who might be against it.