View Single Post
MissAnn 02:52 PM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Supernanny is popular for that reason and she makes it look like the techniques work.

What people don't realize is that her techniques don't work and that the only reason she gets film of them "working" is because she has the adults PLAY with the kids and do something new and special while she's showing how her technique works.

Have you ever noticed she never comes back and films them comando style like she films them for the begining of the show? She doesn't go back AFTER they have done the technique and just filmed their day to day life. You don't see them filming AFTER she has taught them the technique and they have TIME under their belts... and see the film of the kids behaving while Mom makes supper and cleans the kitchen. You do see them IN the kitchen afterwards but it is while they do SPECIAL crafts and SPECIAL games.

ALL of those families she has filmed with and nothing a year or so later. I think she's done one reunion show but it didn't show film of the peoples day to day life.

I'll betcha dollars to donuts it is in the contract that they can't go publicly about how her techniques "work".

The minute of time out for each year of life is rediculous. It doesn't work at all. The put to bed technique is also rediculous. If you have to do something 128 times over four hours it's a pretty good indication that it's too permissive.

I enjoy the show but I see the recipe of it and see how it became so popular. My techniques aren't even close to hers. I think most of her techniques are actually escalators not de-escaltors. I don't like sticker charts or reward charts. I don't mind the charts that say what you are to DO. I don't like the ones that are for what you GET.

I don't like her "choices" approach. I don't think little kids need a lot of choices and I don't think most of their daily cares should revolve around even two choices. I think little children need leadership and need to have a good block of time where they aren't in the chooser role.

I do like her approach to healthy food. I don't like snack containers or making a big deal of what they get to choose for treats.

She's made a good living off of her stuff tho so you have to give her that. I just don't see much real life substance in it... but I do see how sellable it is. It makes it look like you can do words and little consequence for big behavior and have it work. It does WORK as long as you are playing with them and doing special special. That's what she gets on tape and the public eats it up.
I like her no nonsense attitude. I don't like the constant time outs and sticker charts. I do like the entertainment value.