View Single Post
Leigh 09:18 PM 08-23-2017
Originally Posted by trix23:
I have a new client who was a drop-in for one day a week and they pay for the whole month in advance. The third day of care, the mom was late half an hour because she had asked me quarter to 4 if her daughter was still sleeping from nap to which I replied yes and then three minutes later the little girl woke up so I texted mom a little girl's awake. Turns out mom went to the library and checked on a book and as such was late 27 minutes picking her up- the fee for this is $30.

At exactly 4pm, which is their pick up time, I texted both parents stating that is now four and past contract hours and as such late fees are $5 for every increment of five minutes late and then I will see them soon.

Then the dad texted me saying that he thought that since I'm open till 6 that they can pick up anytime within that window. It's in my hand book, my contract, and it's even in my initial section that they signed the states that they pay and are billed for late fees and early drop-off fees Etc regarding their individual *contracted* hours, versus open hours. Not only that but I mentioned it to mom verbally a few times as well. So they're trying to weasel their way out of paying this even though we've discussed it quite a few times.

I billed the parents through venmo and they are saying that they want to have a conference or a phone conference to discuss things regarding daycare for their child. I told him that my policies are not up for discussion and that they need to pay the fee so that we can move forward with the business relationship. It's still is not paid and they are saying that they want to sort this out on the phone call before proceeding with care arangement. They say they are being mistreated and that this is not fair. LOL.

I'm honestly considering terming them because this is already ridiculous.

What would you do and/or say?
I would send them a copy of the contract that they signed and highlight the part that discusses late fees. I'd note on that portion something like "I don't understand why you would feel mistreated over something that you have agreed to. It's unfortunate that you're feeling this way, but this is the policy, and it is not negotiable. If you feel that you need a 6PM pick up time, I can certainly arrange that for you. The fee for 6PM pickup instead of 4PM pickup would be $xx per day." If they argue pickup times more than that, you could let them know that after 4PM, they would be using a space for school aged children, and they need to pay for that space accordingly (whether you take after school kids or not!). Or, you could just term. I wouldn't, personally, give them their "conference", which is them wanting to tag-team BULLY you over $30 freaking dollars, when the real issue is why the library was more important than picking up the child (who would CERTAINLY be welcome at the library after being picked up from daycare at the agreed upon time).

You can conference with them if you wish, but I would not. What is there to discuss? They signed a contract, they decided that the contract does not apply to them, only to YOU. It's up to them whether they want to abide by what they signed, and up to you whether you're going to let them run your business or do it yourself.