View Single Post
Blackcat31 06:19 AM 03-19-2018
Originally Posted by HappyEverAfter:
I can definitely see how some would feel this way, however, this policy was created at the request of some of my current parents. Their concern was that their daughter is an infant and might not have yet gotten a vaccine for some disease that might be brought in by an older, unvaccinated child. Before I made it policy, I asked the other parents how they would feel about doing it this way and everyone was in favor of it. It’s a one time chance to give an opinion and I would not even hold discussion about dis-enrollment later if they were to change their minds. And as for the privacy of the unvaccinated family, I would inform them during the interview process that enrollment was dependent on my current families being okay with it and I would obtain consent to move forward from there. If the unvaccinated family was at all hesitant in me discussing it with my current families then the interview process would end there. I would never discuss their medical choices without consent just as I would never enroll an unvaccinated child without full disclosure to other parents.
Do you then also discuss the vaccine dates/times/amounts/etc of the vaccinated children with the non-vaccinated families?

If not, I kind of see your method of managing non-vax'ed families as somewhat discriminatory. Why is their medical situation require any more info sharing than anyone else's?

I understand what you are saying in your post in regards to the not-yet-vax'ed infant but infants usually begin care between 6-8 weeks and immunizations begin about 8 weeks. Also most illnesses have symptoms so if you diligently exclude for those symptoms the likelihood of anything being spread to anyone (vaccinated or not) is slim to none.

I also think those with newborns (fragile or not-yet-developed immune systems) bear a responsibility too....if the parent is truly worried about their baby catching something, they'd best protect baby then by not leaving the house until baby has been fully immunized.

FWIW~ I am pro-vax and don't accept non-vaccinated kids into my program (for medical reasons)...I just feel like the non-vax'ed families really get the short end of things sometimes and I think are often treated unfairly.