View Single Post
MarinaVanessa 08:27 AM 09-08-2010
I agree that the details of what happened Sept. 11th should be left up to the parents to discuss to their own children. I don't plan on doing any activities in DC for the kids about Sept. 11th (most are under the age of 2 anyway) but if I did I believe that I would only do activities related to those like Veteran's Day (celebrating the sacrifice that our military makes for us) and of course adding EMT's, doctor's, nurses, fire fighters, policemen etc. (the people that make us safe). It would be more of a celebration thanking people in these fields for what they do for us and our communities. I wouldn't broach the subject of the details about Sept. 11th but I would encourage friendship and peace and helping each other. Talking about different people in the world and tolerance/acceptance of other people's likes/dislikes would be another good topic. Singing songs about friendship, differences in people etc. would also be a great choice for the younger kids. There are lots of ways of honoring those that sacrificed on Sept. 11th without talking about bombs, planes, death and violence.

As a note: Martin Luther King Jr is taught in K and 1st Grade much like I have suggested above. By singing songs about friendships, reading simple books about him that say that he wanted people to get along etc. Schools don't usually get deep into prejudice and the violence surrounding his life/death and that time until middle school, at least in my area. I think it's safe to say that I don't think that people are saying not to remember what happened and not to teach about it (Sept. 11th) but only to keep in mind the age groups that we have and to do something appropriate much like how schools teach about Martin Luther King Jr.